404 Not being logged for custom exception handling

Chris

21 Jun, 2012 07:30 PM

In my rails app, I manually catch exceptions and redirect to custom error pages. The code is the same for both 500 and 404 errors:

def handler
Exceptional::Catcher.handle(e)
redirect_to :controller => 'mycontroller', :action => 'myaction'
end

However, only 500 errors show up on the exceptional.io log, not 404s. I have tried all the solutions I could find on the forums.

Thanks in advance for any help

1. 1 Posted by Paul on 25 Jun, 2012 04:58 PM

One thing to realize is that 404 type of errors show up in exceptional not as part of Opened, Closed, Ignored, but in the 404s section.

If you are saying that your 404 type of errors are not showing up in the 404s section, then you need help from one of the exceptional support staffs.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Chris on 26 Jun, 2012 08:34 PM

No I definitely am aware that 404s have their own section. 404s are not being sent to the 404 section with my new implementation. Thanks though.

*Still need help

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by morgan on 29 Jun, 2012 10:35 PM

Hello Chris,

Thank you for raising this issue to our attention. I did find a gist similar to what you are trying to accomplish. It may be worth a shot to check it out. Gist for 500's and 404's please let me know if that does not work for you. If so I will alert the development team for assistance on your issue.

From,
    Morgan

4. 4 Posted by Chris on 12 Jul, 2012 05:15 PM

That doesnt work either. Here are my exact implementations. I can confirm the code is being reached because my app is indeed being redirected to my error pages.

def error_404(e)

#exceptional doesn't receive 404s for some reason, this line doesn't do anything at the moment.
      Exceptional::Catcher.handle_with_controller(e, self, request)
      redirect_to :controller => 'error', :action => 'not_found', :badurl => request.url

end

def error_500(e)

#manually send caught exceptions to exceptional
      Exceptional::Catcher.handle(e)
      redirect_to :controller => 'error', :action => 'internal_error'

end

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by morgan on 16 Jul, 2012 11:45 PM

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your patience on this issue. I have brought this issue to the attention of the development team.
    They should be able to do a deeper dive into this issue.
    Again, thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
    Morgan

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Herb on 18 Jul, 2012 11:25 PM

Hi Chris!

Could you take a look at this gist for the example how to achieve this?

You can take a look at Exceptional log at your app directory. It's placed under /log/exceptional.log. You'll see any errors that appeared using Exceptional.

You can mail me directly or add me to gtalk ( hrvoje at exceptional.io ) if you need additional assistance.

Cheers,

Herb

7. 7 Posted by Robert on 16 Feb, 2013 12:40 AM

Hi, this is Robert with support, I am clearing out old tickets. If you are still having issues with this, send an email to [email blocked].

Thanks,
    Robert

8. Robert closed this discussion on 16 Feb, 2013 12:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac