I'm geting HTTP Referrers from my exceptional pages, but it's not from me

Christopher Lee

28 Jan, 2011 05:11 PM

Exceptional,

I'm getting website visitors in google analytics that are being referred by exceptional. And I can tell you that no one on my team has visited the site in the days that the visitors are appearing.

Is this information somehow being made available on the internet? Is it exceptional internal QA?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Wal McConnell on 07 Feb, 2011 05:32 PM

Hi Christopher,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've been investigating this one but it is very strange. No, your data is completely secure (it is stored on secure Amazon RDS instances). There is a possibility of some QA being done on your account, but to be honest that is unlikely unless you have other opern support tickets (which I dont think you have).

Can you give me some more information, when the referrer occurred ? and the exceptional URL ?

Wal

2. 2 Posted by Christopher Lee on 07 Feb, 2011 05:37 PM

Wal,

Here's the last month in google analytics. I think this answers your questions?

I'm like 99.999999% sure that I haven't made 22 visits from the exceptional site to my site in the last 30 days. At best I would say 1-5 visits, generously.

Chris

3. 3 Posted by Wal McConnell on 08 Feb, 2011 05:57 PM

Hi Christopher,

Stumped by this I asked Des our resident Google Analytics expert to help me. His answer....

I've checked our analytics log, and as expected the page you're receiving referrers from has only had 3 views in the past 90 days. I've attached our G.A. report on it . So the question is obviously "Where are these referrers coming from?"

I investigated what could be happening and I believe i've found the cause.

The utmz cookie in Google Analytics gets updated with a referrer value unless the referrer is direct. That means if your first visit came via Exceptional, but all subsequent ones came direct (i.e. typed in , bookmarked, or auto-completed by browser), then all those visits will also be credited as a referrer from Exceptional. (This kinda makes sense if you think about , but take it up with Google if you disagree :) )

So in this scenario, I'm guessing that clearing out your cookies and the cookies of anyone involved with the project who may have that URL in their browser cache will resolve this matter.

4. 4 Posted by Robert on 15 Feb, 2013 07:55 PM

Hi, this is Robert with support, I am clearing out old tickets. If you are still having issues with this, send an email to [email blocked].

Thanks,
    Robert

5. Robert closed this discussion on 15 Feb, 2013 07:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac