Javascript debugging

Ben Johnson

05 May, 2011 06:44 PM

I have exceptional reporting javascript errors, which is really nice by the way. But they are impossible to debug. I get really generic error messages, like:

On line 171273197 of https://....

I don't even have that many lines in any of my files. I'm assuming this is IE being IE. But I wasn't sure if you had any tips to make these errors more helpful, because I have no idea how to fix them.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Ciaran Lee on 09 May, 2011 01:26 PM

Hi Ben,

I'm afraid I don't have many tips about using the javascript notifier. Some of the errors that get posted are... interesting.

Browsers seem to have varying degrees of support for window.onerror, we get some very obscure errors, which to be honest I just tend to ignore. I think not inlining js gives more sensible line numbers but that may not always help.

We investigated providing backtraces but couldn't get it to work reliably. We really like the js notifier though and are keen to develop it further.

Kind regards,
    Ciaran Lee

2. 2 Posted by Robert on 15 Feb, 2013 09:35 PM

Hi, this is Robert with support, I am clearing out old tickets. If you are still having issues with this, send an email to [email blocked].

Thanks,
    Robert

3. Robert closed this discussion on 15 Feb, 2013 09:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac